Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie and members from the City of Mississauga’s Economic Development Office will be attending the 2015 BIO International Convention in Philadelphia from June 15 to 18. More than 15,000 delegates are expected to attend the life-science conference, the largest in the world.
“I look forward to holding meetings with thought leaders, strengthening networks, and generating potential new investment opportunities during the 2015 BIO International Convention,” Mayor Bonnie Crombie said. “Mississauga is the second largest life sciences cluster in Canada. Our Pill Hill community is a thriving hub of global life science businesses. The University of Toronto at Mississauga, home to the Mississauga Academy of Medicine, undertakes important life science research and graduates a wealth of human capital in the fields of commerce, healthcare, and medicine.”
The Mayor will be meeting and networking with industry experts, investors, stakeholders and partners to strengthen relationships, leveraging Mississauga’s competitive advantage in the life science sector.
“This is Mississauga’s success story and the 2015 BIO International Convention will be an opportunity to tell industry professionals about the competitive advantages to invest, do business, and achieve success in Mississauga,” Mayor Crombie added.
Mississauga is currently home to more than 380 life science companies that employ more than 25,000 people.
“Mississauga has the second largest life science sector in Canada. Having the opportunity to meet other delegates, experts and industry leaders is invaluable,” said Susan Amring, director of the Economic Development Office with the City. “This conference allows us to have face-to-face conversations, make stronger connections, build relationships and attract new and potential business partners looking to expand into developing markets like Mississauga.”
Schedule of Events
Monday, June 15, Mayor Crombie will be:
- attending the Gold Leaf Awards, celebrating Canadian innovation and recognizing companies and individuals who have made significant achievements in the Life Sciences field
- participating in the opening ceremonies of the Canadian pavilion
- speaking at the opening of the Ontario pavilion (booth #615), which will feature nine exhibiting life science partners
- networking with industry experts, investors, stakeholders and partners
Tuesday, June 16, Mayor Crombie will be:
- meeting with former alumni from the University of Toronto at Mississauga who graduated from the Life Sciences program and are now working abroad in the life sciences field
- attending a number of presentations, keynotes and information sessions from industry innovators in the life sciences sector
Wednesday, June 17, Mayor Crombie will be:
- hosting a round table breakfast with up to 20 Mississauga-based companies who represent bio-manufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy to discuss life science innovations and growth
For more information about the 2015 BIO International Convention visit: convention.bio.org.
BIO International is the industry’s premier conference and partnering opportunity. It is the largest global event for the biotechnology industry and attracts the biggest names in biotech and pharma. With more than 15,000 expected to attend, BIO International offers key networking and partnering opportunities, and provides insights and inspiration on the major trends affecting the industry.