The City of Mississauga Economic Development Office recently hired Synthesis Agri-Food Network in association with 4DM Inc. to complete a Food and Beverage Sector Assessment. As part of our key sector Advanced Manufacturing, EDO is interested in exploring the significance of our local Food and Beverage (F&B) cluster in order to facilitate further growth and development of the sector through business investment attraction, retention and expansion of our local F&B companies.
As part of the City of Mississauga Economic Development Strategy (2010), the Key Sector Lead Generation Program was developed to address the Strategy’s first objective of targeting “opportunities in high growth sectors” in order to position Mississauga as a “Global Business Magnet”. The City would like to explore the local F&B sector in order to:
- Define Mississauga’s F&B sector and identify linkages to global/regional value chains;
- Develop Mississauga’s F&B sector value proposition;
- Identify sub-sectors and opportunities with the greatest potential for creating and sustaining employment and investment in Mississauga’s F&B sector (e.g. food equipment manufacturing, food testing/R&D, cultural dietary food processing, head offices);
- Identify how Mississauga’s competitive position compares to the broader economic region’s F&B sector;
- Gain an understanding of the economic impact of the local F&B sector
- Identify trends impacting the local F&B sector;
- Identify barriers to attracting, growing and retaining businesses in the F&B sector in order to identify specific actions and tactics to overcome these barriers; and
- Identify key priorities and associated funding/resource/partnership requirements to further develop/support the growth of Mississauga’s F&B sector.
Mississauga’s F&B sector is home to 500+ companies – including F&B distributors, wholesalers, suppliers, packagers, head offices, food service operators, manufacturers and processors – employing over 23,000 individuals.
As part of the project, the Consultant team will be engaging with local industry stakeholders and business leaders. Stay tuned for updates!
Latest posts by Tamara Bangura (see all)
- Mississauga Welcomes CIBC Mellon - August 16, 2016
- Veritiv’s New Mississauga Headquarters – Part of Mississauga’s Fortune 500 Community - August 12, 2016
- 2016 Peel Halton Employer Survey - July 27, 2016